Thursday, 26 July 2012

A Bed Of Knives by Elizabeth Jasper


"A Bed of Knives - contemporary romance with an edge.

Friendship can get complicated when you start to fancy the guys you hang out with. When Eddie suggests a night out to celebrate the end of their final exams, four friends look forward to the evening with different expectations.

Fast forward 5 years. Gina and Rose rescue Spider from living rough in Oxford. Is this enough to bring all four of them together again and will their friendship survive the revelations of the following days?

***Not erotica, but does contains strong language and explicit sex***"

*The Blurb is from Goodreads*

 If I were to judge a book by its cover, I'd say this book was a romantic tragedy with one heroine pained with a distraught life but owning a very feminine appearance. The cover of this book came across as creative, and I loved the use of a manga sketch. It proved both abstract and emotional. However, if it were my design, the constrast between the drawing and the background would be greater. Instead of the peach colour, I thought it would have been more attractive if the background had been pure white. This style can be seen as more contemporary and could attract more eyes.

Past all the 'superficial' stuff, for me, this book was unique, due to the fact that:
1) It wasn't my usual style

2) It was in 3rd person

3) It followed 4 main characters

4) It had a warped timeline

5) It seemed to have absolutely no flaws  


This book wasn't one of the usual genres that grace my Computer Screen/ Kindle Screen. 

A Bed of Knives was a more raw novel compared to the books I usually read. It dealt with real issues and had a more reality-oriented take on the world of books.


A Bed of Knives to me partly demonstrated itself as a tragedy. The problems that struck the four main characters--Gina, Spider, Rose and Eddie--were related to tragedies that could be earned by any person (though I like to believe my religion protects me). The repeptition of cancer and death was more real than you would find in any novel.

I remember wondering what the authour's mind was like to write something this edgy and come out of it sane.

It was in 3rd person.  

This may not be an enormous point compared to everything else, but to me, third person is not my favourite style--though I do know it can be used well from the only pretty little liars book I've ever fully read (the last one, I kill for spoilers). However, the authour managed to use this to her advantage as she told the tale of our three main characters.
It followed 4 main characters

When it comes to me--yet again--I'm always following the one character that leads the whole novel. However this book followed 4, Gina, Spider, Rose and Eddie.Though they were all the main characters, it seemed as if, as the story went on, Gina and Spider's storypushed its way to the forefront (not that I'm complaining).

The characters seemed to be imprinted into a reader's mind more by their circumstances than anything else. Gina had her family tragedies, Spider had his family entanglements, Eddie had friends and his job, while Rose had all her creations. Despite that, Rose's personality was presented in a different way than the otheers were. While Spider and Gina's lives were labelled by tragedies, and Eddies was labelled by his obvious changes over a span of five years, I felt like I was only given a gist of Rose's personality.

Gina's character however was clear as the novel started, however, it seemed to dull as the story went along. Who she was became slightly confusing. If I were to put a label on it, she was average with an edge. Of course, if that was what the authour intended--outlining that tragedies could happen to anyone--than her character is very impressive. I did find myself rooting for her and hoping she reached a good future by the end of the book.

Spider's personality was a bit more confusing. At first, Elizabeth (Authour) presents him as a player who spent time around girls he didn't care about due to the situation his father had been in, and losing him. However, when Spider meets Marianne, the confidence he should have gained from such a female-experienced (eeewww, sorry, it just sounds wrong) appeared rarely. He was dragged along like a fish on a hook until hew finally floundered in the air. *SIGH* So sad. I told him not to do it with her.

Honestly, Spider pissed me off a lot. Why couldn't he see a beautiful girl like Gina? Rose was cool I guess, but Gina was right there in front of you. And seriously, you love her (I won't say who). I see where you're coming from, but isn't it kinda early, it's been only a couple of minutes.

Eddie was a different situation all together. At first, he was this sweet put together guy that was determined to be kind to his best friend. I'm hoping he was really drunk when he finally betrayed him, or I'll be pissed (yet again). What I loved, about this character was how Elizabeth twisted his personality over a series of five years. I absolutely adored how he seemed completely different. It was scary in a cool way.

Now, Rose, she was that perfect girl that was every one's interest. It was kind of funny studying her feelings for Eddie in the first few pages. It was a "aww, you poor baby moment," like watching a cat attempt to twist a doorknob, so sad but so cute. And then what she did to Eddie! Who knew she was capable of that? Devious and kinda disgusting. However, she was lovable, which was contributed to by the life she made for herself. Her business made her lovable. Her talents were impressive and worth looking forward to. In the five years, Elizabeth also seemed to change Rose, but not in a overt way. She was just slightly harder.

It had a warped timeline

Truth be told, it takes a talented authour to twist time the way Elizabeth Jasper did. I'm still wondering how long it must have taken her to slip all the puzzle pieces into place to creat a novel like this. Though the style she used to do it was a bit rough and a boycott of a contempary style, it was admittedly impressive.

Throughout the timeline, she also managed to develop her characters, adding into the realistic format of this novel. It demonstrated how long years and different situations can change a person, without making certain areas that could have possibly been epic fails, lose style.

It seemed to have absolutely no flaws 
  
As I read this book, it felt as if everything that happened was a part of the novel, and not to be demonstrated as an exterior flaw. I had rants, which aimed at things the characters did and things they didn't. (Like Gina taking her time with telling Spider the truth, why did she have to take so long?!) However, it felt as if the authour wanted us to feel this way. It made her all the more talented as I read this novel.

Thanks for Reading
See you next time Hopefully
:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just tagged you on my blog. It would be awesome if you check it out!

    ReplyDelete