Friday, 24 August 2012

Hotblood (House of Slide)

He stole a kiss from the wrong girl...
Left without a soul, 17-year-old Dariana Sanders waited to die. There was nothing left to live for, nothing to feel besides the aching cold that never stopped. Her parent's marriage was in shambles, and her brother, the only one who understood, the only one who knew how to make the cold go away, was gone forever. The only thing Dariana knew with absolute certainty was that nothing could possibly be right again. Enter Lewis Axel Nialls. Luckily for her, impossible is right up his alley. He can save her from the forces that wish to destroy her. Of course who's going to save him, from her

Correction: I gave this book a 3.99 because I like the author and because its point might be compromised because I'm not really in a good mood.

Brief:
I liked this story, and the sense the author was going for. The point was understandable: she was soulless then she switched souls, and I have to say I felt a lot of anticipation reading this book. One, the chapter where Lewis and Darianna meet was pretty interesting at the end, and two, I kept looking forward to school moments.
However....I would be lying if I didn't say the book confused me. Other than that it needed to be whipped by an editor who could add a contemporary spin and voice appearance factor. The story had potential, but it needed to be cooked a bit longer.

Full:
I don't have much to say about this, mostly because my attention wasn't held. I couldn't seem to keep reading this. Maybe it's just me, but reading it straight on didn't work out. There were moments where I was stuck, forced to keep reading, but I kept falling out of the loop.

While I read this, I kept wondering if it would have gone over smoother if the author had stitched the hotblood race and such to already existing elements, as writing a whole new fantasy existence is immensely difficult. One half of this fantasy was absolutely gorgeous, the other, as I've heard people say, left a little to be desired.

The romance was another confusing section. Maybe I just skimmed too many portions but it felt more bit by bit rather than something that picked you up and whipped you around. For a teen romance, it didn't reach as high as I would have liked it to. Their moments were not that many and I wished the descriptions of all their meetings had been intensified.

As fot the characters, Darianna constantly frustrated me. The things she did, the way she acted...I was completely confused. One second, I would thing she was awesome, the next I wouldn't know who she was.
I do admit though, there were enormously great factors in this book, that I couldn't fully enjoy. I was in a rush to finish this and was juggling with other duties so maybe I gave it to poor a try.

I'm not exactly sure how I feel at the end of this book, but I hope I can revisit it later. 

Thanks for reading xx

No comments:

Post a Comment